The 1st ever SATMag Awards took place in December 2016 and was voted for by you, the public! Any South African production that have showcased in South Africa between 1 December 2015 – 30 November 2016 (both dates inclusive) were eligible for nomination.
Voting lines for Nominations by the public were open from 1 November 2016 – 25 November 2016.
After hundreds of nominations the top 4 Nominees with the most votes in each category, as voted for by the public, was selected as the Final Nominees of the 2016 SATMag Awards, where after the public voted once again – this time for the winners.
Winners of the SATMag Awards 2016 was announced LIVE on Facebook on Monday 2 January 2017.
After thousands and thousands votes, you can check out the Winners of the 2016 SATMag Awards in the January 2017 of the South African Theatre Magazine HERE!
- Best Actor in a Play – Andre Odendaal (Dop)
- Best Actor in a Musical/ Opera – Jonothan Roxmouth (Sweeney Todd)
- Best Supporting Actor in a Play – Tiaan Slabbert (Porselein)
- Best Supporting Actor in a Musical/ Opera – Grant Towers (Altyd in my Drome)
- Best Actress in a Play – Jennifer Steyn (The Inconvenience of Wings)
- Best Actress in a Musical/ Opera – Charon Williams-Ros (Sweeney Todd)
- Best Supporting Actress in a Play – Fiona Ramsay (Les Censi)
- Best Supporting Actress in a Musical/ Play – Michelle Botha (Altyd in my Drome)
- Best Performer (for performers in Dance, Physical Theatre, Magic and Performance Art productions) Lulu Mlangeni (Siva)
- Best Ensemble Performance – Sweeney Todd
- Best Director of a Play – Sylvaine Strike (Dop)
- Best Director of a Musical/ Opera – Neels Clasen (Altyd in my drome)
- Best Emerging Director – Quintin Wils (bRENT A Mobile Thriller)
- Best Choreographer – Duane Alexander (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat)
- Best Newcomer – David Viviers (The Finkelsteins are coming to dinner)
- Best Lighting Design – Nataniel (Mannequin)
- Best Sound Design – Quintin Wils & Frenette van der Walt (Porselein)
- Best Set Design – Gopala Davies (Les Censi)
- Best New South African Script – Dop (Retief Scholtz)
- Best Theatre Production for Young Audiences (for productions aimed at children from 0-17) Pippi Longstocking (National Children’s Theatre)
- Pukka Award for Best Production (This award is specifically dedicated to Dance, Physical Theatre, Magic and Performance Art productions.) Pulp (Alexander Bar Upstairs Theatre)
- Best Cutting Edge Production – bRENT A Mobile Thriller (National Arts Festival)
- Best Play 2016 – Porselein (South African State Theatre)
- Best Musical/ Opera 2016 – Altyd in my Drome (Pieter Toerien Theatre)
- Festival of the Year 2016 – National Arts Festival (Grahamstown)